Vanilla-Cinnamon French Toast
From “Eating Well with IBS,” by Kate Scarlata, R.D., L.D.N. Page 123
A pure and natural blend of vanilla combines with the subtle sweetness of cinnamon to make this French toast tops on the “comfort food” list.
- 1 tsp. butter or trans-fat-free margarine
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup reduced-lactose low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, add margarine and vegetable oil.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon.
3. Dip bread into egg mixture, turning over to coat both sides. Place bread in the skillet. Repeat with remaining slices.
4. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes or until lightly browned, flip over, and cook the other side for 2 or 3 more minutes.
5. Serve with maple syrup