Cut Out Croutons
(Recipe from Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger. SNACKS AND MUNCHIES section, page 39)
Try cutting these croutons into tiny squares for salads, soups, and snacks or use fun cookie cutters to make giant crunchy treats for toddlers.
4 pieces gluten-free bread
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) vegetable or olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried seasonings ([0.6 g] parsley or [2.8 g] basil)
- Dash salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (4.6 g) cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon (15 g)turbinado sugar or (15 ml) honey
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
2. Toast the bread in a toaster on medium-low heat 3 or 4 times until very dry, Do not let burn. Set aside to cool.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the oil and savory or sweet seasonings.
4. Cut the toast into bite-size squares or desired shapes. Add the toast shapes to the bowl and toss until each piece is seasoned. Add salt and pepper to savory croutons, if desired.
6. Grease a baking sheet and evenly space the croutons on the sheet. Bake for 5 minutes on each side. Remove and let cool on baking sheet for 15 minutes. Serve or store in a covered container for up to 1 week or freeze, if desired.
Yield: about 2 cups (200 g)