Chocolate Pudding Tart Recipe
December 14, 2010
(Recipe comes from “The Allergen-Free Baker’s Handbook,” by Cybele Pascal)
1 shortbread Tart Crust (recipe follows)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 ½ cups rice milk
1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer
2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate, in small pieces
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Prepare tart crust.
- Whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt in saucepan. Add rice milk. Then add egg replacer, whisking until light and frothy.
- Set saucepan over medium heat. Warm slightly, add chocolate pieces and cook, whisking, until it has thickened and is simmering – about 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon for 20 minutes. The pudding should be dark and chocolaty, and should drip off of the spoon. Once really thick, remove from heat, whisk in vanilla, and pour into the tart crust.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours.
Shortbread Tart Crust
1 ½ cups Basic Gluten-Free Flour Mix
(Gluten-Free Flour made by combining 4 cups brown rice flour, 1 1/3 cups potato starch and 2/3 cup tapioca flour. Keep in the refrigerator until use.)
1/4 cup plus two tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening
2 tablespoons orange juice
- In mixer, whisk together the flour mix, confectioners’ sugar, xanthan gum, and salt. Add shortening in tablespoon-sized pieces and mix on medium speed until you have a course meal, about 1 minute.
- Add orange juice until the dough balls in the center, 20 seconds.
- Flatten dough into a disk and roll out into a circle about 1/4 inch thick and 1 inch wider than your tart pan.
- Lightly grease 9 1/2-inch tart pan with removable bottom, flip crust into the pan, and press down with the palm of your hand. If the dough breaks apart, don’t worry. Just patch it back together – it will bake into a lovely crust! Trim by rolling a pin over the top of the tart pan. Prick the crust 8 times with a fork.
- Preheat over to 350°F and bake for 20 minutes. Cool completely on a cooling rack before filling.