Best Beef Soup Ever
(no gluten, milk, soy, egg, corn, or nuts!)
This hearty and yummy winter soup is good any time of the year.
- 8-10 cups (1.9-2.4 L) water
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 5 pounds (2.3 kg) short ribs with bone cut into1-inch
(2.5-cm) chunks (results in 2 1/2 pounds or 1.1 kg, beef chunks)
- 1 tablespoon (18 g) kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) ground black pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 1 small head cabbage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large carrot, sliced into thick coins
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) GFCF soy-free fish sauce
Combine the first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan or stockpot. Cook (uncovered) on medium-high heat until beef is tender. Simmer (covered) for about 3 hours. Add potatoes for the last 30 minutes. Add cabbage and carrot for the last 15 to 20 minutes. Add fish sauce to taste. (This is quite salty but does add to the taste.)
NOTE: When buying fish sauce, check the ingredient list. Some have hydro/yzed wheat protein added. Thai Kitchen fish sauce is GFCF and soyfree (www.thaikitchen.com).