Apple Rice Pudding
March 14, 2011
(Recipe from Allergy Proof Recipes for Kids by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger. Page 222)
This is very rich, creamy, and delicious. Best of all, this is great whether served warm or cold.
- 3 cups (710 ml) alternative milk beverage, divided
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1 cup (200 g) short-grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (2.3 g) cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- scant 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon (15 g) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (225 g) finely chopped apples (about 2 apples)
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups (475 ml) milk, water, rice, vanilla, cinnamon, salt, and sugars. Cook at a gentle simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- When most of the liquid has been absorbed, add in the apples. Cook 10 more minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 cup (235 ml) milk. Gradually stir into the rice mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens, about 10
minutes. Spoon into individual bowls.
Yield: 6 servings