Fun Family Activities for Any Occasion
Since weather is an unpredictable phenomenon in life, I have begun to appreciate a variety of activities that I can do with my family whether we are stuck indoors due to rain or snow, extreme hot or cold. Although it is hard to find an activity that they whole family can enjoy together, it is not impossible.
Here are a variety of ideas that you can use when you are stuck indoors with your family, and unsure of what to do.
- Play “Simon Says” or “Hide-And-Go-Seek.” All too often, I forget about these fun games that I used to play as a child. The best part is, you don’t need to have any materials in order to play them. Simon Says and Hide-And-Go-Seek are wonderful games for the whole family that even teens can enjoy!
- Look at old photo albums together. It is fun to reminisce about past experiences and trips. It is especially fun when parents pull out their wedding or college photo albums, as our kids seem to get a real “kick” out of them.
- Have a newspaper or wrapping paper snowball fight. Every child seems to enjoy messing up mom and dad’s home, and there is no better way than to have a snowball fight indoors. You can crumple up old newspaper or wrapping paper to use, and set up your own “forts” in the house. Then, have fun throwing paperballs inside!
- Find a new recipe online, and make something special together. There are so many wonderful recipes online now, which makes it easy to find something that you can make with the materials you already have at home. Yummy treats that can be decorated are a wonderful thing to do, since everyone loves them!
- Make an emergency plan. It is important for families to have an emergency plan in place in case the unthinkable happens. Rainy or snowy days are a great time to sit down with your kids and create an emergency plan in case there is a fire, tornado, or other natural disaster. That way, everyone knows what they need to do, or where they need to go in case of an emergency.
- Have a dance party. Turn up the stereo and move the furniture out of the way–it is time to dance! Getting your blood flowing while you are moving and grooving is a great way to get some exercise. It may be fun to have a contest to see who can make the craziest moves!
- Make a tower! Use marshmallows and toothpicks to build towers, castles, homes, or even animals together. Who can make the tallest tower? Who can make the wildest looking animal? You could even have one of your family members be the judge for your crazy creations.
Whether you are stuck inside due to precipitation or extreme temperatures, you and your family can still enjoy one another’s company. Be creating a plan for your day and adding in some fun activities like the ones listed above, you and your family are sure to have an enjoyable time together. Make being stuck indoors fun for everyone!